Warmer weather plus the general trend of staying healthy and active has encouraged more Illinois residents to walk to their destinations. It is dangerous being a pedestrian in Chicago, however. In the event of an accident, a pedestrian has no protection against the impact of a multi-ton motor vehicle. To stay safe while walking this summer, pedestrians in Illinois should keep the following tips in mind:
- Always walk on the sidewalk, but if there isn’t one, walk as close as possible to the left side of the street, facing traffic.
- Cross at a designated crosswalk and only at intersections or street corners.
- Obey all traffic signals before crossing.
- Stop and look both ways, in the popular left-right-left pattern, before crossing the street.
- Make sure traffic has come to a complete stop before crossing at a traffic signal.
- Pay attention to turning traffic, especially on a red light.
- Wear colorful/high visibility clothing when walking at night.
- Stop and make sure no vehicles are entering or exiting before crossing a driveway.
- Listen, as well as look, for nearby cars.
As safe as a pedestrian may be, not every pedestrian accident in Illinois can be prevented. If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident caused by the negligence or recklessness of a driver, you may be able to hold them liable for the losses you’ve suffered. Contact the experienced Chicago pedestrian accident lawyers at The Bradley Law Firm at 312-252-1488 to speak to one of our attorneys about your accident. We look forward to answering all of your questions.